GG Predictions for Children's Text

Like most award related things I try to predict, I will probably get this one wrong, but I'm still going to try and I'm sticking to my guns! I love four of the books, and one of the books I just don't see as YA (When Everything Feels Like the Movies), but I won't go into a tirade here because, having worked on awards, I don't want to poop on the jury that has obviously worked hard all year! I totally respect the hard work and there was obviously a reason that they chose the book to be on the shortlist. But that doesn't mean I understand those reasons.

I haven't reviewed all of these, nor have I read all the way through one of them, but I still feel confident in my choice. So, without further ado, here's my prediction for the 2014 GG Award for Children's Fiction - Text:




Winner

I have chosen The Night Gardener for a number of reasons, some of which really have nothing to do with the GG criteria. I love the cover!! Seriously, I just love it. The tree is deliciously twisted, and the lettering is all wonderful and wavy. *shiver* Moving on, the language used throughout is fabulously descriptive, and the whole novel flows smoothly from start to finish. The antagonist is menacing and scary. Characterization is strong and the setting is lavish, full of eerie atmosphere and sinister secondary characters. This novel is seriously creeptastic, bold, and engrossing!

And while I really want to see This One Summer win as well, I feel that it has a great chance for the Illustration Award. I love the Tamakis, but I don't know if the writing is quite as strong as Auxier's in this particular list.


Honours



What do you think? Do you have a different outcome in mind? What are your thoughts on the books you've read? Let me know in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crossover - Kwame Alexander

A Year in the Life of a Total and Complete Genius - Stacey Matson

The Living - Matt De La Peña