Hippopotamister - John Patrick Green

The zoo isn't what it used to be. It's run down, and Hippo hardly ever gets any visitors. So he decides to set off for the outside with his friend Red Panda. To make it in the human world, Hippo will have to become a Hippopotamister: he'll have to act like a human, get a job, and wear a hat as a disguise. He's a good employee, whether he's a construction worker, a hair stylist, or a sous chef. But what he really needs is a job where he can be himself.

I remember the first time I saw a book by John Patrick Green, except "Patrick" wasn't on the front cover, so I was all, "Um, when did John Green get into graphic novels?" I know now that it's not that John Green. I don't know what this little diatribe has to do with anything, but I know when I started it, I thought I had a trajectory in mind. Oh well, on to the review!

Hippopotamister is just plain fun! This is a quest story in many respects, and one that contains some great life lessons for the young reader in your life. The whole novel is told through simple and repetitive text that emphasizes certain lessons, and the bright colours and solid shapes are incredibly appealing and pleasing to the eye. The way that each of the animals is illustrated is adorable, too.

This is a story of friendship, persistence, and celebrating one's abilities, whatever they may be. I Highly Recommend this graphic novel due to its wide appeal, lush colouring, fun story, and wonderfully appealing characters, illustrated by the incredibly talented John Patrick Green. Check it out from your local library or independent bookstore ASAP!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crossover - Kwame Alexander

A Year in the Life of a Total and Complete Genius - Stacey Matson

The Living - Matt De La Peña