We'll Fly Away - Bryan Bliss

Luke feels like he’s been looking after Toby his entire life. He patches Toby up when Toby’s father, a drunk and a petty criminal, beats on him, he gives him a place to stay, and he diffuses the situation at school when wise-cracking Toby inevitably gets into fights. Someday, Luke and Toby will leave this small town, riding the tails of Luke’s wrestling scholarship, and never look back.

But during their senior year, they begin to drift apart. Luke is dealing with his unreliable mother and her new boyfriend. And Toby unwittingly begins to get drawn into his father’s world, and falls for an older woman. All their long-held dreams seem to be unraveling.

This book is a lot of things. It is difficult to read, but it is worth reading for some many reasons. Bliss's narrative is like a well-intentioned punch in the gut (if that makes any sense... it does to me...)

We'll Fly Away is about love and family, hopefulness and hopelessness, friendship and sex, crime and consequences. Above all, though, this book is a plea to remember that a person is more than their worst action. Luke is in jail, on death row, and while readers don't know why until the last pages of the novel, his letters to Toby explore his own attempts to come to terms with the terrible choice that landed him in prison.

In the present-day portion of the narrative, readers witness the slow deterioration of Toby and Luke's friendship, as well as their respective relationships with new people in their lives (girls, coaches, new step-parents, etc.) Toby's relationship with his father is toxic and full of abuse, but there are things that help him get through the days, even as Luke's feelings of protectiveness create feelings of hostility between the two. 

There is so much to savour, feel, and consider within the pages of this book. Thank you to Bryan Bliss for his words and for the power of this narrative and the voices of the two narrators.

Recommended

(NOTE: This review is from an Advance Reading Copy - Out May 2018)

Comments

  1. To anyone out there who thinks love spells don't work, I’m here to tell you that Lord Zakuza love spell is the best and most powerful. I am a wealthy man who has lots of assets and possessions but I have difficulty with women. Whenever I try to settle down with any, we end up breaking up and I had no idea of why I was going through such an experience in my relationship. It was so worrying that I couldn’t be myself anymore and I started searching for help everywhere even at my place of work. I was going through my work activities online and I came across a testimony of a lady called ( Febe Anouk ) regarding how Lord Zakuza helped her to restore her relationship with his love spell, I had to give it a try and I visited Lord Zakuza and I told him everything I was going through. Lord Zakuza consoled and promised to help me out with my situation by preparing a love spell for me. I followed the instructions given by him to me and within 48 hours, my Ex lover came looking for me and pleaded for forgiveness. Since I came in contact with Lord Zakuza, things have changed for good in my life and right now, I am married with two beautiful kids and my home is blessed. All thanks to Lord Zakuza I am forever thankful to you. WhatsApp him on +1 (740) 573-9483. Try him and your life will be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was able to win back my Ex lover with the help of…. Dr.mac@ yahoo. com....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Crossover - Kwame Alexander

A Year in the Life of a Total and Complete Genius - Stacey Matson

The Living - Matt De La Peña