Morris Award Prediction

Well, it's that time of year. The ALA Youth Media Awards are happening soon! So much excitement! I know, it's a bit silly to some, but I'm super nerdy about these awards, knowing all the hard work that goes into making the decisions. In the spirit of this excitement, I am going to attempt a prediction of the Morris Award winner this year. As there is a shortlist, my ability to have an idea of the winner is a bit more concrete compared to, say, the Newbery, Caldecott, Scheider, or Printz. So, here goes:


WINNER


I have to admit that I am a sucker for magical realism. But more than that, the writing in this novel is superb. The story is fascinating, complex, heartbreaking. This story is one that has captured my attention over and over again, and I see its effect on others to whom I have recommended it.

Be prepared for a family history. This book is not just about Ava Lavender, even though much of it is. It is about her family. It is about their tragic past and the history that follows Ava into her own future. The book is not light-hearted, but it is truly beautiful, and Walton's prosaic prowess keep the book from simply turning into a tale of horror and woe. 
I love the other finalists as well, but in my personal opinion, this book should get that "Winner" seal.

FINALISTS


Any thoughts or other opinions? Let me know!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year in the Life of a Total and Complete Genius - Stacey Matson

The Crossover - Kwame Alexander

The Living - Matt De La Peña